Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Baby Hancock!

I’ve been feeling bad that I haven’t documented my pregnancy! I think I’ve been putting it off for a couple of reasons. First, I feel like I just started looking pregnant instead of just chubby! I should have just taken some pictures but oh well, can’t do anything about it now! Second is a little bit more psychological… I think I’ve been scared to let myself be fully excited. Given my family’s history with miscarriages and how long it took us to get pregnant, I’ve been almost waiting for something to go wrong. I think now that I can feel the baby daily and am growing almost every day as well I’m letting that go, and it’s really nice! So I want to write down what I remember from the first 18 weeks so that I can always remember! This first post will be a bit of a novel… but I’ll try to do weekly updates after this. Don't feel like you need to read this whole thing I just wanted to always remember!

Finally a positive test!! On November 3rd, I was 5 days late. I had waited as long as I possibly could to take a test. After taking several tests in the past and having them always be negative, both Logan and I were afraid to have that same result. Let me just say, (TMI coming) that going to the bathroom for those 5 days may have been the most terrifying thing I can remember. Every time was torture just because of the fear that my period would come. BUT MIRACLE OF MIRACLES IT DIDN’T! That Sunday morning I woke up to pee at like 5 in the morning (I should have known then :) and told Logan, “hey! Wake up I’m going to take a test!” and he sleepily said okay… So I take it… Longest two minutes of my life. I couldn’t even look at Logan I was too worried. Then! The strongest plus sign I have ever seen came up! I was ecstatic and Logan was… sleepy :)I told him it was positive and he smiled the biggest sleepiest smile I’ve seen on his face. I don’t think either one of us went back to sleep so we waited a few hours to call our families. It was so much fun to share it with them. We’d always thought we would wait so long to tell people, but after trying for so long, and having our family praying for us, we couldn’t keep it a secret for more than a few hours! According to the apps I downloaded within minutes of the positive test, I was 4 weeks and 6 days (If I can remember right) and my Due Date was July 7th. Over the next few weeks I took a few more pregnancy tests, four in total haha.

This picture makes me laugh because we dressed up as Thing 1 and Thing 2 at work for Halloween. All the residents thought we were pregnant and I thought they were crazy. Turns out I was!

My doctor sees ladies for the first time at 9 weeks, unless they need to be seen before that. At the end of 7 weeks I was having, what felt like to me, really painful cramps. They weren’t bend over in pain cramps but they were strong and hurt so I called and they said come in and get check out. They did an ultrasound and saw the embryonic sac and yolk, but the baby was too small to see. They also said I had sub chorionic bleeding so that could be the cause of the cramps. Oh also, my uterus is tilted or backwards, I can’t really remember what they said but apparently that’s no big deal either? Odd. Anyway none of this was necessarily bad news, but it wasn’t great or no need to worry news either. So they said come back a week later. A week later we did another ultrasound… and there was the little flicker on the screen :) A teeny little heart beat that was strong, and then most of the worries went away. This is our little babe at 8ish weeks.

My next appointment was for 12 weeks. We were going to San Diego for Christmas on the day I actually was 12 weeks, so we went 11 weeks and 4 days. Everything was great and I think that was the first time we actually got to hear the heartbeat. It was an amazing sound! My symptoms for that time in between definitely intensified, which since we were worried about miscarriage, sort of made me feel better. On days I wasn’t sick I would worry, think oh I wish I was sick today because I know everything is still good then, and then not too long after that my wish would be granted, and then some. When we came to our 12 week appointment I was down 6 pounds and that was sort of a surprise. The other problems I’d had in those weeks was first the flu, not stomach but the cold variety. I was more sick than I ever remember being before and literally slept for 48 straight hours. I was so miserably sick. Then after I got better from that, two days later I got a cold. That ended up in an upper respiratory infection, but there wasn’t anything the doctors could really do. By my appointment this week though, I could tell I was mostly over it.

After that great appointment we were all squared away to go to San Diego. I worked the Sunday night before we left on Monday morning. While at work I was taking care of a resident with my coworker and we were lifting her back into bed. This resident is super light so I wasn’t worried at all with both of us under each arm. I don’t remember if the bed hit me or the resident or what, but I remember a sharp pain in my lower stomach. I figured I just needed to pee or something but went to the bathroom and had some bleeding. I called the doctor and he said even though we were planning on leaving the next morning early, he wanted to see me just to check. We went to the doctor and I was scared. They were so nice to see us first thing when they opened. Luckily they put us out of our misery quickly by listening for the heartbeat. There it was! I was confused but relieved. The doctor was happy but wanted to do an ultrasound to see if they could see a reason for the bleeding, and there wasn’t. There was our little alien looking baby laying on its side just like we both love to sleep :) That sub chorionic bleeding was gone so I wondered if maybe that was what had happened? But we left so happy and relieved and were on our way for a two week vacation. Yay!

The next few weeks were great and normal! When I hit the second trimester my nausea got worse for the next week or so. Everything I had read said you hit the second trimester, your morning sickness will have subsided! Lies! It got worse! I had two weeks of extreme hunger. If I didn’t eat super often, I would get sick. Then I wouldn’t want to eat, which would make me even sicker. I was glad when that was over! I also got my third cold of the pregnancy. Sheesh! After about week 13 my tummy started growing, but like I said, in just sort of a chubby way. Oh, I also thought I felt a few flutters during week 13. Obviously I didn’t know what they should feel like, but it felt like a teeny butterfly from inside me. A few weeks later I felt it more and more often and really think that was what it was! Now I feel it a lot! Our baby should definitely be in gymnastics in a few years!

Logan keeps giving me a look like this is way too long so I’ll wrap up. Next Wednesday we find out if it’s a boy or a girl! We can’t wait!!

How far along: 19 weeks (yesterday, it took me a while to remember how to work blogger again.)

Total weight gain: Not sure, we need a scale! Last time I checked I was back up to two pounds less than I started, but I’m sure I’ve passed that by now.

Maternity clothes: I’ve gotten a few things. My clothes still fit if I wear a belly band that Tara gave me, but I got a few maternity items that are so comfy!

Stretch marks: One on my hip that I’d had from when I got hips all of a sudden my sophomore year of college that has reappeared. Oh well!

Sleep: I get up usually once a night to pee. Logan bought me a Snoogle for Christmas and it is awesome. It helps me sleep great, and Presley loves it too :)

Best moment of this week: Getting to 19 weeks today! Also last night I felt a kick so strong that I felt it with my arm that was resting on my belly. Hopefully Logan will be able to feel one soon!

Miss anything: Walking without getting crazy out of breath

Movement: A lot! Baby is a swimmer/gymnast!

Food cravings: Not really, mostly fresh fruit.

Anything making you queasy or sick: sometimes food just doesn’t sound good or when I get a migraine I don’t like eating, but that’s not too often.

Have you started to show yet: yes! but people tell me I'm tiny but I definitely don't feel tiny!

Gender: 8 more days!

Labor signs: Nope.

Belly button in or out: still in

Wedding rings on or off: on but maybe not for long!

Happy or moody most of the time: Mostly happy, a few random tears for no reason but generally happy. Maybe Logan begs to differ though haha!

Looking forward to: Finding out if it’s a girl or boy!

3 comments:

Mike said...

LOVED reading this! Miss you!!

Mike said...

Woops that was me Erin

SydWOrr said...

YAY!! I'm so excited for you :)